Lawn & Garden Z540R
Z500 Series Lawn & Garden Z540R
Double tap to zoom
ZTrak Mowers are designed around a heavy-duty formed and welded steel frame for strength and reliability.
Large front caster wheels and large rear drive wheels provide several operator benefits:
Better slope performance
More operator comfort over uneven ground
The operator platform is roomy and uncluttered for maximum comfort, and the controls are convenient to use:
- Easy to get on and off the mower
- Ample legroom for comfortable operation
- Adjustable motion-control levers for height and position, enabling the operator to stay comfortable while using them
- Color-coded and logically placed controls
Key engine features include:
- 24 hp (17.9 kW) provides plenty of power.
- Large 44.3 cu in. (726-cc) displacement provides plenty of torque.
- V-twin air-cooled design is efficient.
- Excellent power and performance
- Smooth, quiet power
- Easy starts
- Engine model FS730V
- Many quality features are included.
- Cast-iron cylinder liners provide a long-wearing surface for longer engine life.
- Overhead valves allow the engine to breathe easily for excellent power and fuel economy.
- Full-pressure lubrication is more effective.
- Replaceable oil filter keeps the oil cleaner for longer engine life.
- Dual-stage air cleaner thoroughly cleans engine intake air.
- Electronic ignition contributes to fast starts.
- Solenoid-shift starter for easy starts, even in cold weather.
- Rear engine guard protects the engine and provides additional vehicle strength and integrity.
- A flywheel alternator provides plenty of capacity to quickly recharge the battery and power electrical equipment, such as lights or a sprayer.
- 20-amp capacity
- Regulated to keep the battery at a full charge, without risk of overcharging
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and convenience in operating all controls:
- Excellent visibility forward and to the trim side of the deck makes operation easy and comfortable for the operator.
- Controls are color coded for easy identification.
- Twin-lever motion-control levers adjust, using cut-height pin/socket, for convenience and operator comfort.
- Shock absorbers dampen control movements to give smooth operation.
Comfortable seats with two suspension springs and no-tools fore-aft seat adjustment, that can be used by the operator while seated:
- Z540R – High-back, 20-in. (50.8-cm) seat with adjustable armrests and 4.5-in. (11.4-cm) fore-aft adjustment
Two steel springs under the seat absorb shocks when traveling over rougher areas to provide a smoother ride.
The commercial-style steel footrest flips up to provide easy access for servicing the mower deck:
- Easy to clean grass off the top of the mower
- Provides convenient access to the mower drive
The motion-control levers can be adjusted to three different height settings and fifteen different fore-aft settings:
- Increased operator comfort
- Can adjust for the most precise control of the machine
A standard shock absorber for the motion-control levers makes it easy and comfortable to maneuver the ZTrak™ Mowers:
- Shock absorber modulates the movement of the control levers for smoother operation.
- Operator can smoothly and precisely control the machine.
Tracking adjustment from the operator seat is quick and easy. A cut-height pin provides an easy method to adjust the motion-control levers:
The socket included on the cut-height pin can be used for the operator to use when making a tracking adjustment.
The operator control panel is conveniently located and easy to use.
The instruments and controls are as follows:
- Hour meter
- Ignition switch
- Power take-off (PTO) control
- Engine speed control
- Engine choke control
The park brake is conveniently located:
- Large lever is easy to use.
- Park brake effectively holds the machine in the parked position.
- Park brake must be engaged (in the upper position) to start the engine.
- Once the engine is started, the park brake must be disengaged before operating the motion-control levers.
The Z535R and Z540R include a foot-lift pedal along with the hand-lift lever to make raising the mower deck easier. The foot-lift pedal also provides a convenient way to temporarily raise the mower deck over an obstruction while mowing:
- Mower deck cutting height adjusts from 1 in. (2.5 cm) to 4 in. (10.2 cm) in 0.25-in. (0.64-cm) increments for optimum cut quality and performance.
- Mower deck adjustment has built-in memory so the operator can easily return to the desired cutting height.
- Foot pedal provides easy lifting of the deck.
|Power||24 hp (17.9 kW)|
|Displacement||44.3 cu in. (726 cc)|
|Lubrication||Full pressure with replaceable filter, capacity, 2.2 U.S. qt (2.1 L)|
|Battery||12 V (300 CCA)|
|Choke/speed control||Separate control levers|
|Fuel tank capacity||4.5 U.S. gal. (17 L)|
|Fuel gauge||Fuel level sight line|
|Dual hydros||Tuff Torq TZ17-M with 1-in. (2.5-cm) axles|
|Forward speed||0-9 mph (0-14.5 km/h0|
|Reverse speed||0-4.5 mph (0-7.2 km/h0|
|Speed and direction control||Twin premium levers|
|Control adjustment||3-height/18 positions|
|Frame||Heavy-duty frame tubing|
|Front caster tires||13x6.5-6|
|Front caster bearings||Sealed ball bearings|
|Service interval decal||Yes|
|Seat back height||High back with armrests, 21 in. (53 cm)|
|Fore-aft adjustment||While seated, 4.5 in. (11.4 cm)|
|Seat suspension||Two springs|
|Type||Foot lift and hand lever|
|Mower cut height||1-4 in. (2.5-10.2 cm)|
|Cut height increments||0.25 in. (0.64 cm)|
|Preset cut height||Yes|
|Width of cut||48 in. (122 cm)|
|54 in. (137 cm)|
|60 in. (152 cm)|
|Type||High-capacity side discharge|
|Mower deck material||9 gauge (0.15 in.) (3.8 mm)|
|Mower drive system||V-belt|
|Type||Electric, 125 lb-ft (169 Nm)|
|Wheelbase||48.7 in. (123.7 cm)|
|Overall length||76.7 in. (194.8 cm)|
|Width without mower||47.8 in. (121.4 cm)|
|Width with mower||48 HC, 62.4 in. (158.5 cm)|
|54 HC, 68.3 in. (173.5 cm)|
|60 HC, 73.5 in. (186.7 cm)|
|Width with mower (deflector raised for storage)||48 HC, 53.6 in. (136.1 cm)|
|54 HC, 59.6 in. (173.5 cm)|
|60 HC, 65.6 in. (166.6 cm)|
|Height||46.1 in. (117.1 cm)|
|Weight||With mower and fuel, 48 HC, 697 lb (316 kg)|
|With mower and fuel, 54 HC, 717 lb (325 kg)|
|With mower and fuel, 60 HC, 738 lb (335 kg)|
|Operator presence system||Yes|
|Park brake interlock||Yes|
|Note 1||Mower wash port makes cleaning the deck easier|
|Note 2||Flip-up foot platform for easy service access|
|Note 3||18-position adjustable motion-control levers|
|U.S. warranty||4 year/500 hour bumper-to-bumper* (*Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.)|
|Rear bagger||48 HC and 54 HC, 6.5 bu (229.1 L)|
|Double light kit||Yes|
|Rubber floor mat||Standard|
|Mounted sprayer||15 U.S. gal. (56.8 L)|
|Light kit||Dual headlight kit|
|Material collection system||48 HC and 54 HC, Power Flow™ rear bagger, 6.5 bu (229.1 L)|